Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Red Rock Bible Camp and the Sekine bicycle, summer 1984

I took off a week to put my Sekine bicycle in the basement rafters next to the worktable and give the bike a thorough cleaning. I used kerosene and a stainless steel brush but it didn't matter what I used, I had a knack for making things worse. 

Memories are made of this

Meanwhile apparently I was missing the best camp all summer, the Teens Camp. One kid played a mean guitar and spent all week fighting the necessity of recommiting himself to Jesus and good music. I was told on his last night there he went down to the beach, shouted, "Satan get out!" and  bashed his guitar on some rocks. He rededicated his life to Christ, and got a girlfriend out of the deal. On the bus ride home he was ruefully shaking his head and restringing his guitar. 

And this was what I missed for a better night's sleep. 

No comments: