Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Cycling in Toronto winter, 1990-1991(?)

The plan was to cycle on my Fisher mountain bike in the winter months and use the money I saved on subway expenses on Aikido lessons at the downtown Y. Instead I spent that money on beer and got tired of the cold and slipping around on the streets of Toronto, so I quit Aikido and started taking the Toronto Transit Commission (the TTC) again. Also, I only had to get dropped on my head by a Ukrainian once. 

Not that I bore him any hard feelings about the matter. We met on a TTC streetcar once. When he explained where he was from, I said, “So have you been to Edmonton?”

He smiled. “Those people are more Ukrainian than I am. And I was born there.”

I got used to Aikido lessons being held in the curtained gymnasium next to Morning Aerobics. In my head Randy Travis singing, "I’m gonna love you forever/Forever and ever amen" 

sounds more like: 

"I’m gonna love you forever 'HOOOAH!'/Forever and ever amen 'HAH!'" etc. 

Ah, sweet memory!

No comments: