Monday, November 20, 2006

Southwest Turkey Chili

One reason why I prefer the Canadian Thanksgiving date over the American is its proximity to Christmas. It's nice to have at least one month sitting between the Thanksgiving feed bag and the December graze fest. It's not like I'm slimming down in that solitary month, but at least my pancreas is getting a bit of a break.

Still, I'd gladly pull up a chair at Darko's this week. For his (and your) turkey left-overs, I provide you with the recipe for Southwest Turkey Chili, from the out-of-print Aqui Recipes, Vol. 1 by Rob Francis, with improvements by DV (left-over roasted chicken works well, too):

3 Tbsp Olive Oil
3/4 Cup Carrots, diced
3/4 Cup Celery, diced
3/4 Cup Zucchini, diced
1/2 Cup Red Onion, diced
1/4 Cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 tsp Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Chipotle chiles, minced
1 tsp New Mexico chile powder
2 tsp Cumin, ground
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/4 tsp Salt

1 1/2 Cup Black beans, drained
1 1/2 Cup Chicken stock (low sodium)
1 1/2 Cup Tuscan tomatoes, strained
1 tsp Oregano
3 Cup Turkey, diced
2 tsp Hershey's real chocolate

Heat the oil, and saute the next 11 ingredients until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, black beans, turkey and chocolate and let it simmer for 20 minutes before serving. My daughters like it like this, but adding a little of the right hot sauce to your bowl doesn't hurt it any, either.

4 comments:

DarkoV said...

WP,
I thank you beyond the capability of words for re-printing this recipe. I encourage all readers of this blog to give this a try. If you're like me, you'll actually like turkey.
So I don;t bug you again next year about this, I'll be printing this out and visiting the local tatoo emporium.

DarkoV said...

(Most certainly) Not apropos of turkey, this morning's mail brought, in womb-like enveloped grey foam wrapping, your book. Appreciate the kind words, much more than enough. Only quibble I have is that picture on the back; I'm sure on the abck cover of your next book you will have obtained a new digital camera with which to take a clearer picture of yourself. While the picture is artistic, suggesting both speed and the effect of time on an immobile subject, your readers may want a starkly clear photo. Whether it's so that they can frame the photo or simply to turn to the back cover after reading a particularly engaging rampage of words within the book and say,"So, this is the guy with all this thinking going on!?" will be left ot the whims of the individual reader.

Damn! I've got to get back to work. Lunchtime can't arrive too early.

Congratulations, Darrell!

Whisky Prajer said...

Thank you, DV. After the book-launch, I promise to post clearer pictures. In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy my relative anonymity.

Cowtown Pattie said...

WP: you are going to let me know when I can buy a book from you directly with the proper personal salutations from the author?

Now, I must tell you - most Texans would call you something less than a gentleman for naming this yummy-sounding concoction "chili".

We are particular about that certain dish, but I will be trying your turkey version most definitely. And those beans?

Another one of those quirky Texas things...