Sunday, February 05, 2023

Billy Joe Shaver, “Georgia On A Fast Train”

 One of the happy days was learning the words to this song and singing along with BR5-49

Here are the lyrics as I hear 'em — corrections gleefully accepted : 

"Georgia On A Fast Train" by Billy Joe Shaver

On a rainy, windy mornin'
That's the day that I was born in 
That ol' share-cropper's
One-room country shack. 

They say my mammy left me
The same day that she had me
Said she hit the road 
And never once looked back 

And now I just thought I'd mention 
My grandma's old-age pension
Is the reason why I'm standing here today 
I got all my country learnin'
A-milkin' and a-churnin'
Picking cotton, raising hell and bailing hay

Chorus:  
Yeah, I've been to Georgia on a fast train, honey
I wasn't born on yesterday 
Got a good, Christian raisin'
And an 8th grade education 
Ain't no reason you all treatin' me this way

Now old sweet Carolina 
I don't guess I'll ever find a 
'Nother woman put together 
Like you are 
With that wiggle in your walkin'
And your Big City talkin'
And your brand-new shiny Plymouth ragtop car

So it's hurry up and wait 
In this world of give and take 
It seems like haste that makes the waste everytime
And I pray unto my soul 
When you hear the acres roll
You better know 
I'm gonna get my share of mine

Chorus: 
Yeah, I been to Georgia on a fast train, honey 
I wasn't born no yesterday 
Got a good, Christian raisin'
And an 8th grade education 
There ain't no reason you all treatin'
Me this way

No suh!

"Rock 'n' Roll had nothing on these guys": Billy Joe Shaver 

"'My mammy left me the same day that she had me'? Not true," says my mother from beyond her grave. Now here's Bon Scott from AC\DC singing "Problem Child."

No comments: