Sunday, March 12, 2023

“Welcome to Walmart!”

The young women in my room were all salaried but to a person talked about returning to College or University and getting another degree. 

“I want to work at Walmart,” I said. 

The whole room erupted with laughter. 

"I'll hold those bags! Say, you got anything to eat?"

But here’s the sad truth: I would LOVE to work in a big box store. At Walmart I bought Acer laptops for the kids and swapped 'em all out to be Linux Ubuntu machines. The uninfected Acers outlasted the Apple products that came later. I even used them myself. 

Walmart was one of the last places to sell music CDs and DVDs of all stripes. I’d buy them both and rip 'em. Now that I think of it Walmart was where we purchased the Nintendo Wii, the last gaming console to have been a “big deal” for us. 

But you won’t find me there or in a university classroom. For now I am here, and this is where I belong. 

No comments: