Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Cinema movie palace, Thompson, MB spring 1981

The Concert Band and Concert Choir took a couple of tour buses from our Mennonite High School in downtown Winnipeg to Thompson up north. Thompson High was quite chichi and had a dance that night and we were all invited. The Mennonite teachers warned me away from attending, however. Apparently a large sum of money had gone missing from a student's locker and plans were afoot to beat up me specifically. 


"What? Little ol' me?"

Instead I went to the town movie palace, where there was a double-billing: The Elephant Man and Airplane!

The place, quite large, was packed. The crowd had clearly come for the latter. Wow, did the air smell like booze! Hoots and hollering commenced. People threw popcorn at the screen and it landed on others. ZAZ could not have created better conditions for their crazy movie. 

As for me, I had a comic book. Spider-man was fighting some guy who had boomerangs that cut a staircase in half (it was tricky). I expected to read, dammit!

And to think some people wanted to give me a thumping! 

No comments: