Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Souvenir shop, Winnipeg Arena, Winter 1977(?)

 “You’ve never been?” said Terry. “Check lt out!”

The Winnipeg Jets had a souvenir shop in a small closet with an upper and lower door. Every inch was shellacked with triumphant Jets pictures from newspapers and magazines. The upper door swung out to reveal a large, round tin of Player’s smoking tobacco, and buttons. 

At the time Winnipeg had a “triple threat” with Ulf Nillson, Anders Hedberg and Bobby Hull. I ordered buttons of all three but figured Bobby looked like Bobby, and Anders Hedberg looked just plain weird. To my eyes Ulf Nilsson actually looked heroic, so his was the button I wore. Since it was still the 1970s these buttons were quite large. 

Later the closet was completely closed. I don’t know why I went back — it must have been en route to the troughs in the Men’s Room. 

LEGO makes everything look better. 

This is the CBC story of Scott Templeton's LEGO recreation of the old Winnipeg Arena. Urine troughs and the Winnipeg Jets souvenir closet are (I'm guessing) not included.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah those buttons I can see them now - such a prize for our young eyes

Whisky Prajer said...

And programs! Some scans are here.