Thursday, December 29, 2022

What I learned from my hemorrhagic stroke

Nothing. Everything. 

Might as well read a book!

Nothing. Might as well go for a soda. Heck, might as well go for an IPA!

Now we're talking!

Play electric guitar while you're at it (I did!). Use justinguitar.com (I did!). 

Everything. I am slower now, and I talk ugly. Also: high-fructose com syrup -- I used to avoid the stuff, now it's a part of my daily diet and I've lost weight and become a cheap date (I still loves the IPA -- the grapefruitier the better). 

Before movies I used to drink a doppio espresso con panna just to stay awake. Now I drink espresso fed via teaspoon to feel something. 

I used to jump at my own shadow. "Is this cancer? Is that cancer?" Then I disappeared and lost my voice. The doctors all say I'm lucky to be alive. Needless to say I don't jump anymore. 

I'm glad I'm experiencing a hemorrhagic stroke now. Five years earlier I'd be dead. Now I'm on the computer all the time. I love the Internet. The Internet is the bane of people's existence — hey, I get that. But the Internet has been the godsend of my existence, so I am going to defend it.

Links: part 2part 3part 4part 5

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I mean, it's pretty incredible you can have this perspective on what you've learned. And it's so amazing you can experience so much via the internet. 100 years ago it would have been such a different experience!

Whisky Prajer said...

Oh for sure! In fact the doctors did not expect me to live, much less talk. Now just try to shut me up! And 100 years ago if people like me even survived we got parked in a corner with a diaper and forgotten about. I used to listen to Rez Band "The Chair" over and over again. How did the Evangelicals get it so right?

paul bowman said...

How indeed?

Cowtown Pattie said...

You are one tough hombre!

Whisky Prajer said...

pdb - I'm just getting started!
CP - aw, shucks! [kicks out foot]

Joel Swagman said...

Oh no you don't! You're not going to fob us off with a small post like this! I expect the whole memoir. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/My-Stroke-Insight-Scientists-Personal/dp/0452295548

Whisky Prajer said...

Oh no -- I'd better start writing! The nice thing about stroke memoirs is they are, by necessity, short.