Thursday, December 15, 2022

INTO THE WOODS for real!

"I'll bet you've never seen a man put on makeup before."

This was The Centennial Centre in the late-1970s and the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra was apologizing for the snooze-fest that had been "The WSO and Ernie Coombs present Prokofiev's 'Peter and the Wolf.'"
This wasn't that. 

That was pretty bad, alright. Even Mr. Dressup was fighting off sleepies, and he was on-stage. Now here was a mild-mannered fella putting on makeup. 

"This is 'stage makeup,' actually. I do this. And this. And suddenly... 

"... I'M A WOLF!!!"

There was a kid in the front who jumped a foot and I swear it wasn't me! But it could've been. I was not expecting that. For the next 90 minutes I got a retelling of The Little Red Riding Hood that made Into The Woods look tame by comparison. 

No comments: