Friday, September 09, 2022

Elizabeth II, 1926-2022

Dead at 96. Elizabeth II was a big deal, to my mother and most of her generation. When she was a girl growing up on the Canadian prairies Lois kept a scrapbook of newspaper clippings of the Queen. It's where I first saw this picture. 

My mother couldn't wait  to see Helen Mirren in The Queen. Looks like it can be watched on the usual platforms -- I recommend it. When I let my voice be heard I, like Cherie Blair in the film, rather squeekily advocated for the abolition of the Monarchy. I don't recommend that. 

Princess Elizabeth plays "tag" aboard the HMS Vanguard. 

4 comments:

Joel Swagman said...

I like that picture. It's so easy for me to forget she was ever young. And yet...

Whisky Prajer said...

In the late 80s SPY Magazine published a picture of Elizabeth II picking her nose. I guffawed but I can remember being told by a fella -- an "out" gay man -- "I wish they'd give her a break."

pdb said...

Much in back of mind writing the post I put up a couple of days ago, Elizabeth and Charles of course occupying headlines and timelines throughout, was consciousness of being the greater part by far of my life, from childhood, a very monarchy-positive American. Not that this is anything really remarkable. But my own rude and crude ‘phases’ of extra moral clarity in youth never included an Abolish moment as far as I recall. Such anti-hierarchy tendencies as I’ve come to are pretty late-developing. Funny.

Whisky Prajer said...

I'm still with Cherre Blair of the movie -- we didn't need to spend millions of dollars on her. But maybe I'm wrong.