Monday, January 07, 2008

Communication Breakdown

My wife met me at the cafe the other day, and I made a round of introductions to the newer employees. When we left my wife said, "Those are some very pretty co-workers you have!"

I saw no point in denying this assertion, even as I realized her comment required some reassurance on my part. I swung into action. "They are lovely," I agreed, "but they're also quite young."

I doubt my wife could have look any more shocked if I'd poured coffee on her lap. "That's my point," she said rather icily.

"No no no," I insisted. "You don't understand: they're very young."

My wife just shook her head. If nothing else, I probably reassured her I was too big a doofus to take the Casanova route through my mid-life sillies.

6 comments:

DarkoV said...

WP,
How young are you (you can't be the forty you're bragging 'bout; I'd say closer to 26-27) that you so easily fell into your lovely spouse's piège au femme.

Oh, but she admire your squirmabiliy factor. Hope your girls (home-girls) weren't spying in on this, learning from the master.

Whisky Prajer said...

Oh, but I hope my girls were. I worry that if they settle for anything cannier than I, life could be a very difficult proposition indeed.

Whisky Prajer said...

Oh, and might I add: women in trees.

Anonymous said...

Nice.

If it's any consolation, I would probably have said the exact same thing.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need to offer a big date night, her choice.

dan said...

Sorry, but I was still snickering about this last night. :)