Friday, October 07, 2005

Meme Post-Script

It seems I've conveniently overlooked the Five Favorite Snacks category. Like any good Mennonite, I believe that summer and sporting events were made for roasted sunflower seeds (not sure how to spell the plaut-dietsch term for them, but phonetically it sounds like "K'Naack Zote". If you say this once or twice, you'll figure it out). Now that I think of it, it's been years since I've had watermelon and strips of deep-fried, lightly salted, slotted dough called "raul-kuchen" (can't find the umlaut on my keyboard) - a combo that's tastier than it sounds. Mennonite farmer sausage is also a treat, particularly as it's manufactured in the Manitoba towns of Winkler and Grunthal. I occasionally enjoy a bag of Cheetos, and whenever I'm in the presence of an open container of Haagen-Daz Swiss Vanilla Almond, well - it's not pretty.

Usually, I snack on decidedly non-favorite comestibles, like carrots and celery.

Some highly recommended meme-responders: FCB, Darko, Cowtown Patty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

raul-kuchen! I just found this by googling that term. My mother used to make this when I was growing up and I loved it.

Anonymous said...

oh, maybe it was roll kuchen.... mmmm.... with watermelon... perfect!
http://www.recipezaar.com/174706