Friday, September 08, 2023

Manhattan! A city of “firsts” 2

 Back in Winnipeg the owner of a comicbook store asked me to get some Cherry Poptart comics (go ahead and look it up, but don’t say you weren’t warned!). Since I did business with him I devoted some attention to the matter but thought the fellows looked incredibly mean. I bought a copy of Maus and a huge book of Scrooge McDuck comics instead. 

I remember taking the subway and buses a lot. At one busstop a bunch of kids in yellow rain jackets came on and started chatting happily. I thought I was witnessing the denizens of a private school, but I didn’t know. 

I took the bus to the Guggenheim Museum.

It looks something like this.

 The Guggenheim was designed for the patron to take the elevator up and clomp down the spiraling ramp,stopping to goggle at artwork. I did this, and stopped at  Picasso’s Girl With Golden Hair. I stood for a very long time and admired Picasso's brushwork. That was the first time I ever “saw” a painting.

2 comments:

pdb said...

I lived in NYC for three years and never managed a visit to the Guggenheim, somehow.

Whisky Prajer said...

I've never managed a visit to Chicago .. we're even!