Monday, June 19, 2023

Anaheim, California, summer 1986

The more things change... 

Brian and I stayed at the Sand-Man motel. During the day we visited theme parks and at night we returned to the Sand-Man and watched Get Smart. 

KAOS Goon: And you accuse me on this flimsy evidence? 

Maxwell Smart: No, I have more flimsy evidence!

I remember DisneyLand. It was so smoggy they actually stopped the fireworks show midway and said, "Maybe come back tomorrow."

At the Matterhorn a ride master said, "No no! Get those people out of the way!" Our train slid to the side and SHUNK! another came rolling in. "Because you folks were so good you get to ride again." The announcer was calmer thus time, but this was a dispensation we could have used earlier in the day. 

Wow, did my head ache! A churro cart passed by and I thought I was going to throw up because of the smell. 

At the Sword-in-the-Stone we stopped. I was going to start mugging for the camera when this kid hopped up and started yanking at the sword. It seemed just too perfect. An eight-year.old boy bending over and sticking his bum into the camera lens -- I could not have planned it better so the photo was taken.  

The Sand-Man was owned by a couple from Northeast India. In the mornings she would change the linens in the suite next door and sing her exotic songs. 

The motel had an outdoor pool that was dry. It was next to an International House of Pancakes and across the street from a pizza joint that served amazing pizza. We only went to both restaurants once, but the food was very good. 

4 comments:

pdb said...

Your pulling up certain quite specific sense memories from so far back smacks me right between the eyes sometimes. This does not happen easily or often for me.

Whisky Prajer said...

I had a friend who said, "You should have thrown up ."He was probably listening to too much
"Hefner & Disney".

pdb said...

Man.

I still really don’t know Burnett at all, honestly. This one’s entirely new to me. Amazing stuff.

Whisky Prajer said...

Burnett produced Robert Plant and Alison Krause and was the man responsible for the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack. And that's just for starters.