Monday, April 10, 2023

National Cameras And Photograhic Equipment, late Fall 1986

Kaz was another buddy from the 'Bach and got me an interview at Astral Photo in Eaton Place, where he once worked. Kaz was now at National Cameras And Photographic Equipment just up Donald Street, where he later got me another interview. Unlike me Kaz actually knew photographic equipment and I would often shoo the customer his way, especially once we started working together at National Cameras. 

National Cameras rented a storefront from The Capitol Theatres and was blessed with a toilet in the basement. Wow, was it hot down there! Reps from camera companies would use our toilet then stagger upstairs and complain about the heat they had just left. 

Across the street from National Cameras was a "Family Fun Centre" which a person technically had to be at least 16 years old to enter. I spent a lot of quarters there. Downtown Portage Avenue was lousy with these places (The Pirates' Den, Circus-Circus, Mother Truckers — who am I missing?) and head shops. 

I remember plenty of movies in the much smaller Capital 2, which, my father pointed out, had once been a balcony (Bear Island, Clint Eastwood's Bird, First Blood, Stand & Deliver, that Billy Graham movie starring Billy Graham and Judd Hirsch, Police Academy 5) even though I must have seen a few movies on the larger screen on ground floor. 

Just not Licence to Kill, which I kinda remember
seeing with Kaz somewhere else. 

No comments: