Monday, January 30, 2023

Vintage Whisky 2021

 2021 is the year Larry McMurtry died, and I was promptly felled by a hemorrhagic stroke. I disappeared,but not without blogging first (it was "a Pandemic Year," after all). 

Books

  • The Year Of Our Lord 1943: Christian Humanism In An Age Of Crisis by Alan Jacobs reviewed here
  • The Index Of Self-Destructive Acts by Christopher Behareviewed here
  • Note to self -- read this book on Hannah Arendt.
  • Leonard Cohen, Untold Stories: The Early Years by Michael Posner reviewed 

Movies

  • Prime Cut -- that is one bonkers movie.
  • My wife now subscribes to Disney+ and I have seen all of The Mandalorian. It is not as good as Star Wars: Rebels and I much prefer the LEGO Star Wars video games. But Gina Carano gave me something to talk about

Music 

  • The concert meme
  • I still listen to Songs For The Apocalypse by Jason Bieler. 
  • Treasure of the Broken Land: The Songs of Mark Heard reviewed

Mennonites 

  • Kristoff-fa-Pluma-moos and the quilte explained

Miscellaneous 

  • Remembering a balcony. 
  • "In which JEH Smith TOTALLY OWNS Peter Thiel and his Girardian frat-boys — possibly not my final word on Rene Girard but probably my final word on Jordan Peterson
  • Fitness: my pre-stroke routine. If I have any regrets I wish I'd done more with the curl-bar. Light weights of course. There came a day when I was punctured for blood, and I simply did not have the veins for it. 
  • Late-night radio: CFNY and my buddy's tapes explained
The last thing I remember from this blog.

3 comments:

paul bowman said...

Yeah, I guess I will forever associate McMurtry, or that lecture hall pic of him at any rate, with being in the dark and worried about you. Less in the dark once eventually able to contact Beth and get news, of course. Still compulsively checking in every so often and being greeted by this besweatered fellow holding court with off-camera coeds in black & white.

Whisky Prajer said...

Blogging was a distant concern, to be sure. Not so now (obviously).

Whisky Prajer said...

If the choice is off-camera coeds and screw Bono I'll take coeds, thanks.