Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Whatcha takin' to the curb, there, Prajer?

It has been, by any standard, a wonderful winter for our family -- sunny, healthy, brisk, with an ever-present blanket of snow hiding all the garbage on the lawn. And now with spring in the air, it's all coming to an end. The youngest got stomach flu on Friday, the oldest caught the same bug on Sunday -- along with a touch of strep, methinks. The grown-ups are dealing with something stomachy, too, so we're all going to bed early, and making a point of talking nicely to each other, when we'd rather be whinging and sniping, instead. As for the garbage, well...

Since I can't quite pull my thoughts together for the usual entertainment, I figured I'd just snoop through the contents of my hard-drive's recycling box. Lessee, here...



Not bad! This is one of the first pics I pulled from Google Images. Haven't read the comic in question, but I like how Supe's eyes mimic the Batmobile's headlights. Reproduced here entirely without permission, of course. Run to your local 7-11 and buy a DC comic to make up for my lack of scruples, please.

What else have we? Still on the DC track...

The frame to your right is from Batman Year 100, art and story by Paul Pope. Haven't read it (the one comic book store I straggled into delivered the "I'm sorry sir, but we sold our last copy just minutes ago!" line. Oh, really? Any chance this bag of breakfast churros might change your tune just a bit? (Ah, but you know you're doomed when Comic Book Guy calls you "sir"!)), but I believe the concept is Batman lives to fight crime at the age of 100 or so. Very surreal. I don't hold out much hope for the plot being especially innovative, but the graphics are nice -- they put me in mind of Bill Sienkiewicz's angular Batman with long, swooping ears (to your left, from the cover of Batman 400, 1986. Click to enlarge) -- and any time you tweak a brand-name with a mixture of reverence and nerve, you usually cook up some zesty goulash.

Hmm. There's another picture I'm tempted to pull up from the bin, but I think I'll save it for tomorrow, after the recycling truck has left the vicinity.

1 comment:

DarkoV said...

Very enjoyable read this morning. Good to bring up the topic of crimefighters at advanced ages. As long as Batman is fighting crime down stateside, he will be fighting 'til he reaches 100 or so. Thanks to his arch-villains Bushman and The Chaneyrie, his BatSocial Security will not be available. Unless Batman is heavily involved in his Bat401(k), he won't be able to count on his BatRetirement Plan for a cozy life. Here's hoping that his villains have the same bad luck with their retirement plans, so he'll be at least fighting crime his own age.
Somehow, however, I don't think Bushman and The Cheneyrie will have to worry about the comfort of their old age.