Monday, December 07, 2020

The Force, Don Winslow

 The ForceThe Force by Don Winslow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When Winslow wrote Savages he sorted out exactly how to turn the heat of his prose up to 11. His subsequent novels were all immediately addictive reads, and The Force is no different. It is tempting to compare his prose to that of James Ellroy, another hardboiled stylist keen to punch through readerly indifference. To do so is to highlight Ellroy's inefficencies -- Ellroy's roster of characters is larded with indecipherable psychopaths whose motivations are opaque, while Winslow's bunch are epically compromised, to be sure, but explicable in their motivation. And in Winslow's world there are consequences that cannot be forever dodged.

I was initially cool toward Winslow (I'm not a fan of Dawn Patrol) but he has utterly won me over. One of the most exciting pulp novelists in 21st Century America.

View all my reviews

No comments: