Monday, April 20, 2020

10 albums 10 days, day 1: Can't Buy A Thrill, Steely Dan

Over at Facebook it's become de rigeur to find your name highlighted in a post that says: "I've been nominated by [friend's name] to choose ten albums that greatly influenced my taste in music. One album per day in ten consecutive days. No explanations, no reviews, just album covers. Today I nominate [friend's name]."

Hey, purty pitcher wordlessness is a blessed relief if you're hanging behind the blue-and-white velvet rope, where the teeming masses trade COVID conspiracies or lock-yerself-down-with-a-mask exhortations. Those are shoals I strive to clear, for the most part. And silence from SWMs of my vintage and older is definitely the better course of valour in this day and age.

BUT.

C'mon, we're dealing with albums, fer crying out loud! Words need to be spilled!

So over here you will get all the verbiage you're missing in Zuckerberg's algorithmic clinic.

Unfortunately, there's little that needs to be said about album cover #1 that I haven't said already — here, here, here etc.

2 comments:

DarkoV said...

The perfect choice for #1...unless you do consider ALL of Steely Dan / Fagen solos / Becker solos as well. You are a brave soul, Darrell. My favorite SD is...well..everything they've done. On any given day / listen, the favorite is the one I'm currently listening to. It's past difficult. I'd put a favorite Talking Heads song in the same category. Thanks for the links to previous posts! Reading them again jumpstarts me to go to Google Play and turn on my Steely Dan playlist. Thank you.

I especially loved reading your post on taking your ELW to the Toronto concert. "A good thing, bith ways"

Whisky Prajer said...

Thanks Darko. No, I couldn't possibly choose a favourite SD/DF/WB album. I have a playlist titled "Fagen & Becker" and it is exactly what it says it is: their complete released work. I put that on shuffle and can listen to it for hours at a go.

But I went with Thrill because it is the first, and pretty much laid the bedrock for everything that followed. Fagen complains that all he hears when he encounters his music publicly is bad choices and mistakes. Hey, give us more -- please!