Friday, May 05, 2017

Dreams and Podcasts

I recently dreamed I was being given a bus-seat-eye's-view of an old town built in a hilly, verdant geography. It was a sunny day with deep blue skies. The houses were similar in vintage and construction to the one I live in. The colours vibrant, textures palpable. As I toured, I marveled that my brain -- which, when awake, could not possibly be relied upon to catalogue the items in a room I've dwelt in for the past 20 years -- was somehow conjuring a setting intimately baroque in its every detail.

Dreamscapes (for me, at least) usually have blurred edges. This one did not. It had identifiable horizons that promised further details and wonders, if I could only stay and explore.

The next day I listened to this interview with Robert Lanza. It is the briefest of précis of what appears to be (again, for me) an intellectually challenging theory, so I am not at all confident I've caught the gist of what Lanza is saying. But the nearly immediate juxtaposition of the dream and interview was an enjoyable coincidence.

CBC Ideas with Paul Kennedy: Biocentrism: Rethinking Time, Space, Consciousness and the Illusion of Death, interview with Dr. Robert Lanza, here.

The image above is a still from Dreamscape, a short film by Richard Wakefield. Check it out here.

No comments: