Monday, January 27, 2014

How To Clear The Room Of Adolescents In 2014

Last night my wife and I cued up The Spy Who Loved Me for some cheesy retro-bliss. Roger Moore at 50 was the very definition of “Suave” when we were adolescents in the ‘70s. He was also a fairly well-behaved chap on-set, apparently. My favourite Roger Moore anecdote comes courtesy of Cathereine Seipp, who writes:

Many years ago I read a story about how Roger Moore (a non-screamer) took a younger actor aside and suggested he stop attacking everyone on the set. “I’m not in this business to win a popularity contest,” the screamer fumed. “I just want to be a good actor.” 

“Well you’ve failed at being a good actor,” Moore replied reasonably. “Why not try for the popularity contest?”*

Roger Moore: winning popularity contests since forever.


The Roger Moore Bond films certainly do take their audience for granted, however. They’re a great way to clear the room of adolescents in the ‘10s. Ours now had motivation to head for bed. As we settled in, I said to my wife, “If things go as they should, in 20 years or so our grandchildren will be rolling their eyes at Daniel Craig.”


*Hm. Someone might want to forward this bit to Aaron Eckhart.

3 comments:

Cowtown Pattie said...

Boo-yah!

Whisky Prajer said...

You know it.

Whisky Prajer said...

So nice to see your lovely tin-washed visage, BTW. I miss yer blog, darlin'.