Monday, April 28, 2008

Lit Links

Maude Newton has once again pulled together some winner lit-links. She begins with this Peter DeVries quote -- “You can’t talk about the serious and the comic separately and still be talking about life, any more than you can independently discuss hydrogen and oxygen and still be talking about water” -- and concludes with this Guardian interview with Marjane Satrapi.

When it comes to the bond between the serious and the comic, it couldn't get any tighter than it is in Ms. Satrapi's Persepolis, which my wife and I finally got to see this weekend. We thought it was a lovely, giggle-inducing and heartbreaking movie and give it our highest recommendation.

These are not the only excellent links Ms. Newton has discovered, so head over there "toot sweet" and check 'em out.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Morning!
Glad you finally saw 'Persepolis' -- I utterly adored it, just as I do this Peter DeVries quote. Thanks for posting it!

And yes, Kensington Market rents are cheaper than Church Street -- a factor slowly destroying our neighbourhood :(

Whisky Prajer said...

I just can't imagine why The Village commands higher rents than Kensington. That little strip is nice and tony and "safe" and all ... but geez, it's just around the corner from the Maple Leaf Gardens and the desolation row that has always been Yonge Street!!

Or perhaps I'm simply reeling from the financial battering that This Ain't The Rosedale Library has clearly taken. I just assumed that, given their location and their superior staffing policy, they were among the half-dozen book stores who were holding their own. This downsizing/move is unhappy news, as far as I'm concerned.

Whisky Prajer said...

BTW, in my ongoing "sensitivity training" ... just how inappropriate is it for me to refer to The Village as "The Ghetto"?