Thursday, November 01, 2007

Launching Into NaBloPoMo With A Post-Halloween Tidy

Curious how each Halloween is different from the last. There have been years when we've run out of goodies. This year we've got a heap of leftovers, so it's Rockets galore for this family. Last year I gave away Coffee Crisp, and was left with nothing. Looks like I picked the wrong year to cheap out.

My wife took the girls out begging; she had the impression this was one of the busier years. Hordes of kids and parents, trolling up and down the different drags. Nevertheless, at one of the girls' last stops, the lady of the house gave them mounds of candy. "I can't be trusted with this stuff," said she, "so I'm trusting you with it."

The police paid the town a visit, but didn't see fit to flash their lights or hit the siren. Our village had a quiet Halloween, by police standards. Even our family jack-o-lanterns, which I pointedly leave out overnight close to the sidewalk curb, were left intact. I'm disappointed. No doubt if I kept them there over the weekend, I'd be obliged, but that's not the way it works. As soon as I've posted this, they'll be going into the compost.

On second thought, why don't I just bite the bullet and take care of it now?



Aah! Now on to November...

4 comments:

DarkoV said...

Ah,
Starting off the One-a-Day posting by ending up in the garbage, no make that in the compost pile.

Good start. Nowhere else but up.

Whisky Prajer said...

Yes, not all of us have ready access to the City That Never Sleeps.

DarkoV said...

....and One that Charges You for Every Little Thing You Do.

Whisky Prajer said...

Oh, man: you've got that right! It beats me how starving artists can afford to starve in the Big Apple, but I guess some manage.